PDA

View Full Version : angry punk

James A
02-09-2015, 08:35 PM
https://soundcloud.com/grimmpurrs/mpk

Been off the forum for a bit working on this bad boy!
Im interested in any comments good or bad you have on the mix. Ive been getting feedback from family/friends etc but am looking for constructive criticism from people who produce their own music. I need to get some objectivity on it.
It got to the point i just had to stop messing about with it and put it out there!!
Cheers.

vocoderboy
02-10-2015, 05:33 AM
reminds me of mclusky.
the only real issue i have with the track is the balance of vocal vs instrumental but i think that boiled down to my personal opinion.
all in all a very well rendered punk track.

James A
02-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Cheers VB. Interesting you say that. The guitars/vox balance was one of the last things i was wrestling with. I like a big guitar sound but was quite reserved with this for me. Did you think higher or lower?
I had not heard of Mclusky but it turns out its one of the singers favorite bands! Ive had a listen and can see where you're coming from.

Osmose
02-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Its been probably ten years since i've last heard anu punk related music :P So ive actually never heard some on my monitors, haha

That said, the first thing i kinda felt that it felt to "neat". But that probably has to do with the fact that i was used to listening to punk mostly on cheaper headphones or earplugs back then. So monitors in that sense are always more "neat".
But, after listening trough it i got used to it and that first instinct faded in a thought that says; the instrumental part sound really good actually! So the only thing that left me believing to have some flaws are the vocals? it just got a bit messy here and there, but then again.. its punk! it should sound a bit messy! One thing that came to mind is maybe a bit more reverb and a bit more high end, but only tiny bits.. But then again, that opninion still leaves my doubted...

At the end, it think it sound pretty darn good actually!

James A
02-10-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks Osmose. The vox do have more if a punk edge than my music, i agree. I referenced the Nevermind album for the mix as I like Butch Vigs production and i love the guitar sound and punchy drums, thats my thing. The singer has more leftfield punk influences hence the style.
My initial mix did have more reverb on the vocal but it got a bit washy and 'neat' sounding so we decided to go with the drier vocal for the impact.
I was a bit like you really, i kept changing my mind whilst listening to it!! After a month of it though i just had to put it out there and get some feedback.

Osmose
02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
ye indeed, I feel ye. Either way, good job man.

inmatus
02-11-2015, 07:50 PM
Hi
I think it sounds very good. No problem with the balance of vocal/music for me. I think it goes with the genre how loud u wanna hear the vocals. Punk is like.. you are at the small club and music is so loud and u cant hear a sht what the singer sings-so what?
sort of feeling u like to get..
To sidechain and let it pump can be a good idea.. There is a new RE is the shop now too:
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/carve-eq-ducker/
Got it yesterday and it works more subtle than sidechain I think

MAYBE u could have taken out some of the 110-130 Hz on the base guitar could have made it even tighter.. Not sure (my monitors suck on base but I get that feeling)

Used to play in a punk band :)

desertwalker
06-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Hey Fella,

Good to hear someone using reason for rock n roll instead of the same ol' same old. Though it was great, don't over analyse your music, it sounds fine. Im listening to it through DT 770 Headphones and there is a good balance.

Take it easy,

desertwalker