PDA

View Full Version : How to "Phase In" layered Kicks in Reason??

Niels
03-21-2015, 10:46 AM
Hi guys,

While doing some mixing tutorial study, I came across this technique used with a plugin called "In Phase". The tutor uses it to get his 3 layered kicks in Phase with each other so they line up better and the overall gets fatter. He changes polarity and some other shizzle.
My question is, do you guys know a good way to do this within Reason? Is there a rack extension or device that can do the same(easily)? :)
Curious... ;)

Tnx!!

Osmose
03-21-2015, 09:34 PM
There is a phase inversion button on the channel strip (?)
About lining up, you can "edit audio sample" on most of the devices. But I don't see how it would "fatten up" a sound though.
Either way, there is no "easy" way of doing so, such detailing takes meticulousness. And I don think such an re exists ;)
But, there are lot of ways of fattening kicks.
Tape distortion can help a lot, or a combination of different distortion effects (split up the signal), and or use resonance.
But, the sound you wanna get kinda linked to the genre. You can totally change the sound of a otherwise dull kick into a fat trough the mix punching one, just experiment ;)

Niels
03-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Tnx!

It did seem pretty meticulous, but if there was an easy way in reason it might be worth it when layering. There was a substantial difference in thickness of sound when that technique was used.

Osmose
03-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Well, it does sound viable in a way that it phase invertion can make sense when one or more if the layered kicks are oppisite in phase respective to one another.

But do you have the link to the vid somewere? Would love to see it ;)