PDA

View Full Version : Space flight [Liquid DnB]

Dan Topic
05-12-2015, 08:02 PM
https://soundcloud.com/dantopic/space-flight

Osmose
05-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Sound cool m8, really digging that dark piano ;) Acid basses and the moogish one sound cool as well.
Altough i would'v put alot more emphasis on the bass and drums ;)

Runcell
05-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Nice, i like a bit of d+b, dreamy, jazzy, breaks.. nice.

Good work

Dan Topic
05-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Well, some people tells me that there's too much bass overall :)
I had more accentuated bass and drums when doing it but I wanted to make it soft and liquid and not to switch to usual DnB. Just wanted to sound it ¨cosmically¨, not harshly :)
But it's a question of taste I guess.

Too much overall bass is the issue I've been facing often. I have KRK Rokit 5 speakers and KRK KNS-6400 headphones and both sounds always good but when playing on different equipment tha bass is way too much. Still struggling with it to recognize it and trim. I always hear it best in my car :) I don't have superb hi-end system rather average but it's always revealing me most. Studio equipment sounds good almost always then you listen to the track on usual stuff and just wonder :D

Dan Topic
05-13-2015, 02:54 PM
Glad you like it Runcell ;)

Osmose
05-13-2015, 09:13 PM
I have rokit 5's as well ;) But if you do face a "to much" bass issue, its probably your room..
The Rokit's arent that bass heavy and if you do have room were the bass tents to kill itself, you'll easily overdo it.
But i didnt find the bass to be "to heavy" per definition. But i do get what they mean, its actually the higher (250-400 hz <- gamble) end of your bass that makes the overall bass to prominent. If you'd cut that down a notch and leave the subbines, the issue will fade i reckon and still leave you with that fatness.

Apart from that, i think that tweaking the overall eq balance (on your master) could improve things alot as well.
A good thing to do, just to get a mental image that would correspond and make sense in regards to a overall balance that'll work better is; to compare the frequenty spectrum of your track with one that you know does well.
I know i know.... judging a mix by looking at it feels like cheating and wouldn't be recommended overall. But the thing is, your mind gets used to the overal eq balance (and colors the way you percieve it as well!) you mix towards, so you wont really find your "faults" so to say an issue but it'll still leave you with that "mm still cant get it right but ive done the best i can".

It actually helped me out alot to find frequency that were to prominent in my mixes by visually comparing the spectrums of my mix, and one that i know works well accross the board.

And to mention again, your room does alot! When it comes down to youre overall balance. And the fact that you get used to it.

The good thing is though, that altough you are used to a certain balance that seem to work well in your room at that moment, if you start doing balance tweaks according to a visual comparisson, your brain quickly starts to adapt to it and you notice that you'll find your self doing those tweaks to get THAT balance out of audible mixing choices (so with out the visual comparison)in time. Thus improving.

Also it gave me some "ahaaaa!" moments by doing those comparison's, it certainly helped me out alot!

Dan Topic
05-14-2015, 05:05 PM
It sounds wise Osmose, thanks for your advice. I'm planning to buy RE 302 Graphic EQ and RE60 real time Spectrum Analyser. This could help me to have more precise control of it.
In fact I have my KRK speakers close to wall (which should reflect more bass) and I added bass on the rear panel of the speakers and even on system EQ but still it's not enough :)
What do you (and other guys here) use for spectrum analyzing? I've checked the PH shop but I have found only RE60; though it seems to be a good one.

vocoderboy
05-14-2015, 09:12 PM
i don't currently have a spectrum analyser so i have to rely on my ears (this probably explains why my mixes are so hit and miss) i will however recommend that when you e.q use it in a subtractive fashion on all your tracks pre and post compression.
i have noticed the the eq and compressor are most basic tool of mixing and yet the most vital. learn to master these two devices and your mixes will POP

Dan Topic
05-14-2015, 09:45 PM
I agree. I bought 3 McDSP compressors and they are very useful. Anyway RE60 real time Spectrum Analyser video looks really interesting. Analyzer along with RE 302 Graphic EQ and RE 180 Dynamic driver can do a good job.
See here: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/re-60-real-time-spectrum-analyzer/
Also I use subtractive EQing to make room both for kick drum and bass.

Osmose
05-14-2015, 10:47 PM
When doing mixing always go for subtractive first indeed. But when you do boost, use a proper eq (better aliasing) and don't go beyond 3dB. Especially on acoustic stuff. Doing more on electronic blips etc doesn't matter really, but that's usually more in the sound design proves so prior to proper mixing.

But Dan, reflective bass can cancel itself out as well ;) especially if there's a lot of stuff in your room. The type of walks matter as well.

But don't you gents run r7? I always go for the stick spectrum analyzer. I did try out the red rock stuff, but thing there more of a fun use when hooked together (dynamic eq functions etc.)

vocoderboy
05-15-2015, 12:43 AM
6.5 still and all stock devices.

Osmose
05-15-2015, 06:00 AM
Aha that explains it. I don't own that many re's either though.

Dan Topic
05-15-2015, 06:49 AM
I run Reason 7.1 and don't want to upgrade to 8 so far. I probably skip 8 and wait for 9. Also I have many combinators using LINE6 effects and I don't want to loose them.
Yesterday I bought RE 302 Graphic EQ and RE60 real time Spectrum Analyser. Had not much time to play with it so far but they look promising. First impressions are very good.

Runcell
05-15-2015, 09:42 AM
I've just upgraded/dated from Reason 4 to Reason 8, and it' a massive improvement for me.. Although a spectrum analyzer on the master bus would be very helpful indeed.

You can always export your song, then (re) import it to an audio track and check it that way.. Or like Dan just buy RE60 (and thank the propeller gods for RE's).

Dan Topic
05-15-2015, 10:38 AM
So here's how could look my master buss setup now (still working on it - maybe I will use different compressors):

http://imgur.com/y6teGQx

Der-Axiomator
05-15-2015, 12:19 PM
Cool beat & sounds!

Dan Topic
05-15-2015, 02:09 PM
This is my setup. Modest but so far I'm satisfied with it. You can see the speakers are very close to the wall and even corner. I have to deal with it somehow :)

http://imgur.com/EYvDHHN

http://www.reasonforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90&stc=1

Osmose
05-16-2015, 06:10 AM
That corner might cancel out your bass ;) not entirely sure though.

But since 7 there is a spectrum analyzer on every channel, including the master bus??

Dan Topic
05-16-2015, 08:39 AM
When you hit F2 and call out EQ, there's analyzer too - on Master bus as well, though on MB you cannot adjust EQ but the analyzer shows you the overall sound spectrum.

Runcell
05-16-2015, 09:41 AM
Excellent. Thanks Osmose and Dan. I've just found reason 8's. Right under the Vu meter. Cheers

Guys, i dont want to come across like i know it all, i dont. Especially when it come to acoustics, but i qualified as a sound engineer in 1998 so i know that when you place a speaker against a wall, that surface will reflect back up to 3dB (spl). If you place your speakers in a corner, thats 3 surfaces and up to a 9dB increase. Therefore this cannot be your problem as this situation would cause you to mix your lo-end too quiet.. if you're still with me.

Looking at your pic, it's more likely that you're sitting too close. Which means your not hearing 1 full wavelength cycle, because bass/lo-end have longer wavelengths. This may be whats causing you to mix your bass loud because your not hearing it fully, you're hearing it mid cycle. Hope that makes sense and help out a bit.

Dan Topic
05-16-2015, 05:27 PM
You're right Runcell. I'm sitting too close. I will keep that on mind :)
I understood you well. Thank you ;)

Osmose
05-16-2015, 09:18 PM
Never thought of it that way, good to thing to know!

vocoderboy
05-16-2015, 10:08 PM
what do you reckon Rus, rule of three?