PDA

View Full Version : linerar phase eq

brandtkalk
05-14-2015, 09:36 PM
hello every body
may be somebody know how to creat a system for make an eq in linear phase mode?
I notice also some RE have latency and are made for parrallel processing.
that creat phase.
to remedy to that I'm using VMG-01 Sample Delay ( https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/vmg-01-sample-delay/ )
but in many cases the phase is variable. then I don't know how to do.
somebody can help?
peace
Mr Brandtkalk

Osmose
05-14-2015, 10:52 PM
When ever I do parallel processing like when using the stereo imagers as band splitters, I always make sure I've got an identical chain on all bands. If you don't use one or more of them, still slap them in but at settings that won't do ****, don't bypass!
All instruments in reason have latency and there is not a magical solution that you can slap right in to solve it. There's just to many variables.

I believe they are looking into the possibility to cancel it out (create a buffer) but that would require more cup power due to the calculation of latency sums on all you're chains.

brandtkalk
05-14-2015, 11:06 PM
When ever I do parallel processing like when using the stereo imagers as band splitters, I always make sure I've got an identical chain on all bands. If you don't use one or more of them, still slap them in but at settings that won't do ****, don't bypass!
All instruments in reason have latency and there is not a magical solution that you can slap right in to solve it. There's just to many variables.

I believe they are looking into the possibility to cancel it out (create a buffer) but that would require more cup power due to the calculation of latency sums on all you're chains.

thank you for your advice

Osmose
05-15-2015, 06:01 AM
No problem

brandtkalk
05-15-2015, 04:08 PM
Hello I have an other question
do you know if there is phase problems with a no linear eq on a mono sound?

vocoderboy
05-15-2015, 07:29 PM
can you phrase the question differently ?

brandtkalk
05-15-2015, 10:02 PM
yes I will try
by treating a mono sound with a non linear phase EQ ( classic equalizer). this happens it phase effect.
I ask this question to find out if this is the principle that generates stereo phase issues or if it's simply a latency problem.

vocoderboy
05-15-2015, 10:43 PM
are you using the eq as a send efx and which eq are you using Mclass?

brandtkalk
05-16-2015, 02:02 AM
I tried some differents eq like Mclass but also with all other RE eq
I'm using a lot synapse GQ7, it's really precise and easy to use.
I use it for spliting in multiband parallel and apply diferent effect in each bands.
but some time there is a litle bit phase effect. and it's not my goal (hum)
I also use a lot classic channel from softube,
In a tutorial I learned this kind of eq is usually use as parallel process.
I used vmg -01 sample delay to know exactly the latence and all the softube RE have 4 samples delay at 16bit /44.1khrtz
then each time I work with them I put 4 samples delay on all other tracks.
but sometime they still this litle phase effect.
Mr Ozmose is right to avoid this the best way is to use the identical chain in each splits. but sometime it's not enought
Then I would like to try to make a module in reason to make a linear phase systeme
that sould be really usefull for many applications in multiband and parralel processing.
May be it's not possible . I'm thinking about but I'm not engineer and I don't know how to do.
may somebody know how to do?
note : General latency is not important in my goal because it's just for mastering , not for live.

Osmose
05-16-2015, 06:07 AM
I think it would be to.much of a hassle since proppelorheads haven't really designed a latency compensation themselfs.
If you do really have an identical chain on your main channel/ bus in regards to your parallel one, then there should be latency, unless you have the devices bypassed.

I shouldn't put delay on all the other tracks since that is completely unnecessary. Only do so on identical signals like parallel channels.
4 samples of delay isn't much, so putting that extra delay on a guitar track for example cause you have done parallel processing on the drums is overdoing. No one will notice that tiny bit of delay if you ask me.

brandtkalk
05-16-2015, 03:12 PM
yes sorry for my bad english.
when I said I put a delay on all other track for this exemple , it's on all other parallel splited band, and often I creat a buss with only one delay for all. And I dont forget to do that also for the return fx. But It's too loud for my cpu to put in each band a suite of softube RE for exemple.
certainly not I don't ear 4samples latency between diferent instruments.
But I anderstand what you mean and you are totaly right.
for this kind of situation may be that should be interesting to ask to Normen Hansen to update his vmg-01 for this RE be enable to detect latency variations not only static latency.
anyway thx so much Mister Osmoz for your lighting and your help.

Osmose
05-16-2015, 09:13 PM
No worries m8, hope you can sort it out! But what kind of hardware are you running in your computer then?

Otherwise, bounce you're channels prior to mixing so your cup can just read the stems in stead of calculating all the midi and corresponding sound design stuff.

Can save you loads of cpu usage!

brandtkalk
05-16-2015, 10:10 PM
you are right again
I always trying to go to the limit of my hardware
- CPU :Intel Core i7 4500U @ 1.80GHz
Technologie Haswell ULT 22nm
-RAM : 8,00 Go Canal-Double DDR3 @ 798 MHz
-MC : Dell Inc. 07PF9F (CPU Socket - U3E1)
- SC: tascam us 1200 and M-audio fast track pro
this last times I'm searching to creat a reason template for mastering in multi anything.
the last try was to split the stereo file to be masterised in 32 bands with the red rock RE 60 real time spectrum analyzer and subgrouping all the 32 band in 5 Buss (Bass, medium bass, medium , medium high and high frequencies) then applies on each buss an M/S processing with wave shaping or/and parallel gates, eq and compression.
I tried also to creat a dynamic eq with the RQ 131 and also with the synapse GQ-7 and with this one it's really nice to work because you can see graphicly how it work and then make finest config.

by trying extreme I know the possibilities with sobriety... ;)

Matt
05-16-2015, 11:23 PM
you are right again
I always trying to go to the limit of my hardware
- CPU :Intel Core i7 4500U @ 1.80GHz
Technologie Haswell ULT 22nm
-RAM : 8,00 Go Canal-Double DDR3 @ 798 MHz
-MC : Dell Inc. 07PF9F (CPU Socket - U3E1)
- SC: tascam us 1200 and M-audio fast track pro
this last times I'm searching to creat a reason template for mastering in multi anything.
the last try was to split the stereo file to be masterised in 32 bands with the red rock RE 60 real time spectrum analyzer and subgrouping all the 32 band in 5 Buss (Bass, medium bass, medium , medium high and high frequencies) then applies on each buss an M/S processing with wave shaping or/and parallel gates, eq and compression.
I tried also to creat a dynamic eq with the RQ 131 and also with the synapse GQ-7 and with this one it's really nice to work because you can see graphicly how it work and then make finest config.

by trying extreme I know the possibilities with sobriety... ;)

Looking at your hardware stats an upgrade to 16gb ram seems the only thing IMHO that would help PC hardware wise.

Osmose
05-16-2015, 11:36 PM
I run an i7 as well with 8 gigs of ram. Don't think I ever maxed out my ram.
But I'd recommend saving up for a later model i7. I believe mine runs at 3.8 or 4.2 and I absolutely adore it. Of course I do max it out occasionally, but only when I'm nearing the end of a project.

But isn't 32 bands a bit overkill? Ok it's cool trying different stuff out, but a 32 bands setup by means of a template sounds overkill :p

Matt
05-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Guys I updated the "Mixing" forum title and moved this thread over there. I want to do my best to keep things neat if you know what I mean.

brandtkalk
05-16-2015, 11:48 PM
thx Matt
next month I hope...
yes but I'm in love with the reason tool.
Sometime my girlfriend is jealous ;)

Matt
05-16-2015, 11:53 PM
But I'd recommend saving up for a later model i7. I believe mine runs at 3.8 or 4.2 and I absolutely adore it. Of course I do max it out occasionally, but only when I'm nearing the end of a project.

But isn't 32 bands a bit overkill? Ok it's cool trying different stuff out, but a 32 bands setup by means of a template sounds overkill :p

I agree that 8gb Ram for the most part should serve you well but I have found that some RE's will use up a lot of Ram be it Instruments or effects. One way to remedy this is to render midi to audio and effected audio also.

As for 32 bands of EQ I have never needed it and really don't see why the EQ in the SSL would not serve well. I am not sure what bandtkalk is trying to do maybe he can elaborate a little more?

brandtkalk
05-16-2015, 11:56 PM

yes I have to admit 32bands is too much. but interesting to work on
the main mixer become a big equalizer with all possiblity on each band.
I confess I put plugin only on the five buss.
but I would like to try to work with the ssl's comp and gate directly on the individual band.
just to see what we can get out

Matt
05-17-2015, 12:01 AM
yes I have to admit 32bands is too much. but interesting to work on
the main mixer become a big equalizer with all possiblity on each band.
I confess I put plugin only on the five buss.
but I would likte to try to work with the ssl's comp and gate directly on the individual band.
just to see what we can get out

You can do a hell of a lot with the SSL's EQ/Gates what is it you would like to try?

brandtkalk
05-17-2015, 01:16 AM
yes as you know reason have infinity of possibility.
this type of reason's template can be used for mastering but also for sound design.
with only one stereo source we can sculpting it in many various ways.
sidchaining diferents band, mouving the pans from a group of bands send fx on some precide frequences. and so on.
dont forget 32 band is only 1/3 octave : 4 notes by octave
then idealy that should be complet by divising each band by 4, that will make 128 bands for the audio spectre.
may using the SSL as a 128 touch's keyboard.
May be it's stupid. but I just want experiment. After all the reason's users have the chance to work with a millions dollars mixer ;)

Matt
05-17-2015, 01:28 AM
Cool thanks for explaining.

Osmose
05-17-2015, 05:55 AM
Well i do believe that reason is the daw do experimental stuff, so I'd love to see what you will be cooking :p

brandtkalk
05-17-2015, 06:07 AM
Mr Matt and Mr Osmose
before all I would like to say a big thx to you for all your tutorials.
I have a lot to learn , and I hope to share with you one day something that will interest you.

Osmose
05-17-2015, 05:19 PM
No thanks man! That partially what were here for right? Helping one another out, exchange knowledge etc.

Hope that I have some stuff to share in the near future as well. Some stuff that I'd like feedback on ;)