PDA

View Full Version : Do you mix your tracks in mono?

RTFX
10-21-2015, 01:38 PM
After this interesting read, I want to give it a go.
Did you already?
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2015/10/19/why-derek-ali-kendrick-lamar-mixes-in-mono-for-80-of-the-mix/

Matt
10-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Mixing in mono and stereo have their pros and cons but together they are the best. Simple put mixing in mono can help you hear conflicts between elements in the song. In Reason you can setup a Mono Channel and solo it when you want to reference in Mono. Also you will need to route that channel out to an output on your soundcard that goes out to a mono speaker if you want true mono of the mix. I find this a great reference tool.

Osmose
10-21-2015, 02:24 PM
I try to adopt this technique as much as i can. Think it is a really helpfull tool just like the guy mentioned. Especially when your eq'íng.

RTFX
10-21-2015, 06:08 PM
Mixing in mono and stereo have their pros and cons but together they are the best. Simple put mixing in mono can help you hear conflicts between elements in the song. In Reason you can setup a Mono Channel and solo it when you want to reference in Mono. Also you will need to route that channel out to an output on your soundcard that goes out to a mono speaker if you want true mono of the mix. I find this a great reference tool.
How do I do this?
Right now I use stereo imager to check out the mix in mono

Matt
10-21-2015, 08:30 PM
How do I do this?
Right now I use stereo imager to check out the mix in mono

You can use that but for people who do not have it then can make one in the Mixer. In this tutorial I show how to set it up in the mixer and this is a great way to hear the R/L to sort out conflicts or better hear something. To truly have a mono setup you would need to send out the signal to a Mono speaker setup right in front of you though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euUy5hRR6h8

Osmose
10-21-2015, 09:40 PM
The stereo imager ****s up the sound in my opinion. Matt's way is a better on.
But i usually route my soundcards output trough a hardware mixer with a mono switch via my patchbay

Matt
10-21-2015, 11:05 PM
I can say I have never totally mixed in mono and know there are reason or should I say applications to do so. For my needs I have always mixed in stereo but also made many of the elements mono and through many years I have learned when to us mono mixing and when not to as a means to get a good mix. Fundamentals are a must but after that it's a free for all :cool:

RTFX
10-22-2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks. Both of you!

Osmose
10-22-2015, 04:58 PM
having mono elements is a must have in a stereo mix indeed. Though, completely mixing in mono would be silly :P
Do so only when eqíng, after you've roughly set your levels

RudyPMagic
11-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Hello Matt,

I recently encountered your technique on mono mixing in Reason, and it has helped tremendously. However, I notice that when I set up the mono channel, it cancels out some maneuverability on the SSL mixer. For instance, I can no longer solo tracks from the mixer once the mono channel is set up. Is there any way I can set up the mono channel without limiting my SSL mixer options?

Matt
11-02-2015, 11:57 PM
Hello Matt,

I recently encountered your technique on mono mixing in Reason, and it has helped tremendously. However, I notice that when I set up the mono channel, it cancels out some maneuverability on the SSL mixer. For instance, I can no longer solo tracks from the mixer once the mono channel is set up. Is there any way I can set up the mono channel without limiting my SSL mixer options?

All you do is make an Output bus for all tracks and when this Bus is set to its default setting it is not effecting the sound. To set it to mono just move the Width Knob all the way to the left and now you are getting a mono signal coming out of that Bus and you can solo/mute any track you want. You don't solo the Mono Bus track you just use the Width Knob/Pan and when you are done just set the Mono Bus track back to its defaults. Easy as that ;)

Voyager
04-13-2016, 02:27 PM

Hi Matt, i have few question about this. Firstly how do you rout the mono channel to a specific output of your soundcard ?

I may ask something dumb here but here we go. If i use a third monitor for mono checking purpose only do i still have to create that mono channel you suggest ? I mean even without the mono channel if i switch from my stereo monitors to my mono monitor, the song is being automatically mono anyway right ? So i shouldn't need that mono channel you suggest or i'm missing something ?

Matt
04-13-2016, 03:16 PM
Hi Matt, i have few question about this. Firstly how do you rout the mono channel to a specific output of your soundcard ?

I may ask something dumb here but here we go. If i use a third monitor for mono checking purpose only do i still have to create that mono channel you suggest ? I mean even without the mono channel if i switch from my stereo monitors to my mono monitor, the song is being automatically mono anyway right ? So i shouldn't need that mono channel you suggest or i'm missing something ?

If you have a mono monitor you just need to send out a mono signal to it and you would do this by going directly out of the mono bus you made to the output that you mono speaker is hooked up to.

Voyager
04-13-2016, 06:09 PM
If you have a mono monitor you just need to send out a mono signal to it and you would do this by going directly out of the mono bus you made to the output that you mono speaker is hooked up to.

I mean if you send a stereo signal to a single monitor, this isn't being automatically mono ?

ps : i have a mixcube but still not have it setup. But i remember when i try it i play a track i've made and i remember that a particular effect i used in that track were cutted off, i mean the effect start and then suddenly stop. I guess it was stereo effect i used. So through a single monitor if the signal isn't converted as mono we loss the tracks that were on the other (stereo) signal. Correct ?

Voyager
04-14-2016, 09:48 AM
ps : i have a mixcube but still not have it setup. But i remember when i try it i play a track i've made and i remember that a particular effect i used in that track were cutted off, i mean the effect start and then suddenly stop. I guess it was stereo effect i used. So through a single monitor if the signal isn't converted as mono we loss the tracks that were on the other (stereo) signal. Correct ?

The more i think about it the more it doesn't make sense...

Ok i try few things in Reason through one single speaker, the left one of a 2.1 set (so not my mixcube), i play two tracks simultaneously, one fully panned to the left and the other one fully panned to the right. Without the mono channel created i could hear the left track in the speaker but not the right track. Now when i create the mono channel, reduce the width to 0% and pan it fully to the left as you suggested, i could hear both track playing.

If so, what i dont get is why if i play a mp3 song i still can hear both left and right signal from the song in that single speaker but not in Reason without making that mono channel ?

Matt
04-14-2016, 03:02 PM
The more i think about it the more it doesn't make sense...

Ok i try few things in Reason through one single speaker, the left one of a 2.1 set (so not my mixcube), i play two tracks simultaneously, one fully panned to the left and the other one fully panned to the right. Without the mono channel created i could hear the left track in the speaker but not the right track. Now when i create the mono channel, reduce the width to 0% and pan it fully to the left as you suggested, i could hear both track playing.

If so, what i dont get is why if i play a mp3 song i still can hear both left and right signal from the song in that single speaker but not in Reason without making that mono channel ?

With the setup I gave in the tutorial you are making the bus mono just by turning the Width knob all the way to the left now everything going out the main output is mono. What this means is that both R/L channels are being summed to mono and in a mono mix you hear both R/L channels. You can if you want use a spider splitter and send L of the Mono bus out to a speaker and you will have a mono monitor. With a mono monitor there is no pan, there is pan in the SSL mixer but is not used because the bus is mono. The only reason I turned the pan knob in the tutorial was to show that the same things were coming out on either side.

Voyager
04-14-2016, 04:37 PM
With the setup I gave in the tutorial you are making the bus mono just by turning the Width knob all the way to the left now everything going out the main output is mono. What this means is that both R/L channels are being summed to mono and in a mono mix you hear both R/L channels. You can if you want use a spider splitter and send L of the Mono bus out to a speaker and you will have a mono monitor. With a mono monitor there is no pan, there is pan in the SSL mixer but is not used because the bus is mono. The only reason I turned the pan knob in the tutorial was to show that the same things were coming out on either side.

I tryed to use a splitter but it seems i don't make the right routing, i get some high pitch noise etc...
Yea hardware things isn't my cup of tea..:/
What i'd like to do is to have the mono channel dedicated to my single monitor and use the mute and solo button to listen my mix in mono. Is that possible that way ? If yes could you explain me how exactly i need to rout my devices to achieve this please?

Also and still i can't get why when you play a mp3 that contain stereo signals through a single speaker you can still hear both signals (left and right tracks) but in reason were the tracks are also in stereo as the mp3 is it doesn't work and you have so to turn it in mono to be able to hear both left and right tracks. Do i misunderstand something ?

Ps : i was thinking this isn't because in the daw 2 outputs (left and right) are set by default ? and so it's being automatically recognized and thus played as stereo ?

Matt
04-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Just put a audio splitter between the mono bus to the main output. Now have a stereo pair goto the main output as in the tutorial and then have one goto the hardware output that you have your mono speaker hooked up to, you will need a mixer so you can turn down the Stereo Reason channel and turn up the mono channel after you turn the "Width" knob all the way to the left.

cosignsessions
04-26-2016, 07:52 PM
new to the forum. I thought I remembered seeing a RE for mono 'check'. I found it: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/anansi-mid-side-router/