PDA

View Full Version : Triggering sequencer change on downbeat

Gevarre
11-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Hi,
I hope this question isn't too basic, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do this:

I'd like to start with one of the sequencers or arpeggiators, shifting the pattern up and down with the keyboard. That's pretty simple, but what I'm having problems with is that I want that pattern shift to occur only on the down beat (or on the beat of the next note) and I also don't want the pattern to start over like a basic arpeggiator does. It should just continue on with the new shift. This would be especially useful for live performance where I can't always hit the next note at exactly the right time.

Sorry if I'm not explaining that very well. I've used vst synths in other programs that just do that, but I haven't found any for Reason. I'm assuming the solution is some kind of gated wiring, but I'm not sure where to start.

Any help on where to begin is greatly appreciated.

Matt
11-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Load your sample into the Dr. Octo and then just set the play mode. You can trigger it from your keys or the seq.

Gevarre
11-30-2015, 12:59 AM
Sorry, but I'm not talking about samples.

I'm using a sequencer to player patterns on all the various instruments and using the keyboard to move that pattern up and down in the sequencer the same way that arpeggiators in some instruments work. What I want is for that pattern to not change until the beginning of the next beat (or measure) after I press the new key.

Or to put it simpler: I basically don't want the note to change until the next beat no matter when I press it. Just like what would happen with quantizing, only while playing live.

Matt
11-30-2015, 04:01 PM
If you are working with samples load them into the time line the way you want them. If you want to play the samples load them into the NNXT and then you can use automation or just play the sample in time at any octave.

Gevarre
11-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Okay, sorry, but once again, I'm not using samples. And thinking about this even more, what I'm trying to do is "live quantizing". I'm not exactly sure what to call it, but I have several non-reason vst instruments that just do this: you set up a pattern in it's internal sequencer, then the pattern plays to the very end, and only after the last note is played does it look for keyboard input to see if it needs to change the pitch of the pattern being played.

With what is effectively live quantizing, you can set a step, either a note, or a measure, or whatever, and the program only sends a note change on that interval. So for instance: If I'm in 4/4 and have the quantizer set to "measure", if I play a note change at beat 3.5, the note won't actually change until beat 1 of the next measure.

Does that help any? I hope I'm not just making things more confusing.

Matt
11-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Take a look at the Matrix Sequencer and this RE in the shop, its on sale now.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/korde-sequencer/ (https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/korde-sequencer/)

Osmose
12-02-2015, 08:32 PM
the best way i can think of (dunnno if it'll work); is the use trigger ReDrum, wich in his turn triggers the pattern sequencer.

ReDrum does the "live quantizing" you mean, if you use one channel as a trigger.
Either way, something to experiment with.

Otherwise, i dont think there is a way of doing so apart from drawing and planning patterns in Reason MAIN sequencer.

Hope it helps.