PDA

View Full Version : Export song as audio file and the various options

Voyager
11-27-2016, 09:33 PM
Hello Matt and fellow Reason users, it's been a while :)

Now that my home studio is (finally) done, i have rewatched all the "how to mix" video's to refresh my memory because i'm going to take my work back where i left it and it's about the mixing and mastering process. Also notice you added the last and final part of this how to, glad you did it.

Let me say that your video's are amazing Matt, invaluable information there, pure gold. Even for someone like me which english isn't my native language everything is crystal clear and i love your way to explain things. I even learn a funny word "smidge" it always bring a smile to my face when you pronounce it :)

So here's coming my question, i notice that when you exported the track you leave the standard settings which are sample rate, bit depth and dither checked.

I didn't read too much yet about the different options here and while exporting i was expecting that you were gonna talk a bit about those ( maybe for a futur video ? )

So i wanted to have your and any other reason user opinion about this subject :)

Again thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge around ;)

Matt
11-28-2016, 03:01 PM
Hello! When exporting the mix for Mastering I leave all the settings as is to retain them as I go into Mastering. Changing bit depth changes the music which I save for the last thing or just let Sound Cloud or others do it.

Voyager
11-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Changing bit depth changes the music which I save for the last thing or just let Sound Cloud or others do it.

What do you mean when saying that you save for the last thing ?

Matt
11-29-2016, 11:48 PM
What do you mean when saying that you save for the last thing ?

The last thing that I am talking about is:
After I have Mastered the track or tracks I would than expert the music to a Bit Depth that I want for a given listening medium or just leave the music the way it is and let places like Sound Cloud do it for me. It all depends on what listening medium I will be using.

Voyager
12-06-2016, 12:48 PM
Ok thanks for the precision Matt, also i have another question but different subject.

On your video "Learn to mix n3 - Levelling" once you levelled your tracks at the end you put your master fader at -10dB to leave a 6dB headroom for the various effects to be applied and the mastering process.

But i notice in later video's and while still in the mixing process you raise a bit your master fader. Any reason to that ?

Actually from what i've understand and learn from other sources is that once you set your master fader after have made the "main" levelling process it's not recommanded to touch it anymore.

So do this make sense ?

Matt
12-06-2016, 04:01 PM
But i notice in later video's and while still in the mixing process you raise a bit your master fader. Any reason to that ?

What tutorial did you see this in?

Voyager
12-06-2016, 05:52 PM
What tutorial did you see this in?

In the part 4 at the very beginning and also @ 11:41 you have your master fader @ -5dB and then when you unmute it goes down at -10dB again, don't know how because there is no automation on the fader..did i miss something here ?

But then at part 6 @ 0:53 we can see that the master fader is set to around -5dB again.

Matt
12-06-2016, 06:17 PM
While making the tutorial I turned off the BusComp by mistake , you can see this in tutorial 3 when I set it, in later tutorials I see that it is off and turn it on. The main output setting is never changed during the mixing phase.

Voyager
12-06-2016, 06:57 PM
While making the tutorial I turned off the BusComp by mistake , you can see this in tutorial 3 when I set it, in later tutorials I see that it is off and turn it on. The main output setting is never changed during the mixing phase.

Matt,

Still can't catch you. At the end of the part 3 and after you put the bus compressor on, you set the master fader at -10dB to make your headroom. So i guess -10dB master fader position should have been the initial position during the whole mixing process, right ?

Then right at the start of the 4th part the master fader is at -5dB and i guess your bus compressor was still on. Part 6 the master fader is still at -5dB and even at part 19 it still at -5dB.

Now after the part 3 you had always your bus compressor on right ? If so why you went from -10dB on your master fader to -5dB ?

You also agree that once the main levelling process is done and we set our master fader for some headroom we shouldn't touch it anymore right ?

Matt
12-06-2016, 07:39 PM
what is confusing you is I turned up the master output so we could hear the Raw Mix, Original mix..ect and compare them, this has nothing to do with mixing but rather just comparing the other tracks at a better level.

I set the master output level and keep there for mixing.

Voyager
12-06-2016, 07:55 PM
I set the master output level and keep there for mixing.

Which was at -10dB position as we saw in the end of the part 3, correct ?

Matt
12-06-2016, 08:27 PM
No, I never reset it at the end of tutorial 3. I reset before the next tutorial when I am teaching mixing.

Let this go you are confusing all this with when I turned up the main output to compare the tracks. The only thing here to understand is set your Main Output the way you want it and leave it that way, there are times where you might have to adjust as you mix to keep the main output level where you want it, easy as that.

Voyager
12-08-2016, 04:58 PM
No, I never reset it at the end of tutorial 3. I reset before the next tutorial when I am teaching mixing.

Let this go you are confusing all this with when I turned up the main output to compare the tracks. The only thing here to understand is set your Main Output the way you want it and leave it that way, there are times where you might have to adjust as you mix to keep the main output level where you want it, easy as that.

You right i probably have been confused when you were comparinf the tracks.

Something else, after you made your main levelling and have set your master fader for the headroom. Further in the mix how much in general do the delays, reverbs and various effects add more dB to your whole mix ?

Matt
12-09-2016, 02:43 PM
You right i probably have been confused when you were comparinf the tracks.

Something else, after you made your main levelling and have set your master fader for the headroom. Further in the mix how much in general do the delays, reverbs and various effects add more dB to your whole mix ?

This all depends on the song being mixed and how much effects are being used. The main thing here is to maintain a good over all sound structure as you mix, do not be so concerned with the Main Output it is set, be more concerned how you mix into the main output. This is why you always set you static mix level before you start the main mix. Also mixing is not a static process you can adjust the main output if need.

Voyager
12-09-2016, 11:02 PM
This all depends on the song being mixed and how much effects are being used. The main thing here is to maintain a good over all sound structure as you mix, do not be so concerned with the Main Output it is set, be more concerned how you mix into the main output. This is why you always set you static mix level before you start the main mix. Also mixing is not a static process you can adjust the main output if need.

Interesting points as usual. As you said i tend to be a little too much concerned about the master fader. The reason for that is because i often hear or read from other sources that once you set your master fader you must not touch it anymore for some obscur reason that i can't really understand.

Because let's say that i make my tracks levelling and once it's done i set my master fader to create some headroom for further in the mix and mastering, just as you well explained it in your tutorials. But let's imagine that further in my mix once i added all my delays, reverbs and other various effect or if i slightly re-ajust some tracks volume level again and then notice that at the end of my mixing process my master level headroom margin decrease too much and not where i want for my mastering, so what ? i'm like if i have to followi their advise, i'm not supposed re-ajust master fader and so my headroom ?!

This is the reason why the master fader thing was confuse me a bit.

Matt
12-12-2016, 03:10 PM
Interesting points as usual. As you said i tend to be a little too much concerned about the master fader. The reason for that is because i often hear or read from other sources that once you set your master fader you must not touch it anymore for some obscur reason that i can't really understand.

Because let's say that i make my tracks levelling and once it's done i set my master fader to create some headroom for further in the mix and mastering, just as you well explained it in your tutorials. But let's imagine that further in my mix once i added all my delays, reverbs and other various effect or if i slightly re-ajust some tracks volume level again and then notice that at the end of my mixing process my master level headroom margin decrease too much and not where i want for my mastering, so what ? i'm like if i have to followi their advise, i'm not supposed re-ajust master fader and so my headroom ?!

This is the reason why the master fader thing was confuse me a bit.

You must think of the mixer for what it is. A mixer is just channels for your tracks that you use to mix into a stereo master output, easy as that. You start mixing with a good static mix, set you master output level, leaving 4db or more of headroom. Now you start your mix, because you have set your master output leaving 4db or more of head room and have the bus comp helping just to level things out you will not have to worry about distorting.

You are mixing into the stereo output so if it starts moving up in level it will be about how you are mixing into it, not it, so you will need to back off on some channel or channels that are causing this. It is this simple.

The whole thing with mixing is it is all about giving every element in the mix it's own space, equality across all the channels. It is really all just levels, eq is really nothing more than a level adjustment. There is tons of information out there but here on this site I want to cut through all the noise out there and teach the fundamentals and they are tried and true. Forget about all the noise, learn the fundamentals and go for it.

Voyager
12-12-2016, 06:01 PM
You must think of the mixer for what it is. A mixer is just channels for your tracks that you use to mix into a stereo master output, easy as that. You start mixing with a good static mix, set you master output level, leaving 4db or more of headroom. Now you start your mix, because you have set your master output leaving 4db or more of head room and have the bus comp helping just to level things out you will not have to worry about distorting.

You are mixing into the stereo output so if it starts moving up in level it will be about how you are mixing into it, not it, so you will need to back off on some channel or channels that are causing this. It is this simple.

The whole thing with mixing is it is all about giving every element in the mix it's own space, equality across all the channels. It is really all just levels, eq is really nothing more than a level adjustment. There is tons of information out there but here on this site I want to cut through all the noise out there and teach the fundamentals and they are tried and true. Forget about all the noise, learn the fundamentals and go for it.

I agree with what you said ( how couldn't i :) ) but since after we levelled our tracks and set our headroom then there is a possibility that further in the mix we could tweak again some track(s) levels and then our headroom could not be were we want it to be. And it's in this case i was mainly wondering if it's "allowed" to re-ajust our headroom since we tweak some tracks levels or it's a no no ?

Matt
12-16-2016, 12:15 AM
I agree with what you said ( how couldn't i :) ) but since after we levelled our tracks and set our headroom then there is a possibility that further in the mix we could tweak again some track(s) levels and then our headroom could not be were we want it to be. And it's in this case i was mainly wondering if it's "allowed" to re-ajust our headroom since we tweak some tracks levels or it's a no no ?

You can always adjust it but if you are why are you? The point here is you set a static mix then set your bus comp and then your main output level. You now are mixing into the main output which has 4 or more db of headroom with a bus compressor keeping it nice and level for you to mix into it.

Voyager
12-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the inputs Matt.