Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question about mixing and using references (not sure which section was best)

okay, i had been mixing on a pair of descent passive home stereo speakers - not monitors. that was all i could afford at the time. the best advice i got from the old reason forum address, was to use multiple references all the way through. so that's what i did and it was great advice. i would check four things besides my speakers after premix, mix and master while using the home speakers to do the work and as the final listening point. the references i used were:

1) avantone mixcube
    2) bose wave radio
    3) old pair of sony mdr-v700 headphones
    4) pair of sennheiser hd25-1 II headphones

while not the best mixes - obviously - they did get the general vibe across and i usually had no complaints about my mixes when ppl gave me feedback.

well, i just got a pair of ADAM F7's. i am still using the old system to get used to them, but what would you guys recommend i cut out and where? in other words should i keep those references but only use them after the final mix and master or just the master? should i keep the frequency of checking, but drop a couple of the reference sources, etc. any tips, advice, comments or discussion welcome. thanks guys.

I'd recommend to keep doing references actually. Especially since you gotta to adapt to your new monitor's.

A good thing to as well I reckon is to just listen to music to let your brain adapt to their sound in environment.
    That'll make mixing from memory a bit easier. But that's my logical way if thinking.

But, I think runcell might have the best tip for ye

runecell? u mean the guy at gearslutz? yeah i asked the question there too. yeah i think i will just swap out the old passives for the adams and just stay in the routine. the old mixes actually sound great on the adams so it can only get better now i suppose. yes the computer i use is the same one i use to listen to new hip hop & r&b every day and the monitors are hooked up to that. so yeah that is what i have been doing and it has really given me a good idea of where things should be in the active monitors. thanks for your advice!
    Last edited by ravisingh; 05-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.

The one thing that is always left out IMHO or at least not held equal of the elements of Mixing..... Your Ears, Monitoring Source, Knowledge of the Equipment / Software and Monitoring Room is the Monitoring Room. I made a Tutorial on this and I will post it below, the thing here is this... to get a great mix you must start with a great recording and then you must have a Stable Monitoring Environment and this is made up of the Room your Monitors are in or a set of Headphones and one just needs to master one or both of them along with the Knowledge of the Equipment and the Fundamentals of Mixing Audio. I would suggest learning your Adam's, put them in your Room and learn them. Along with that I suggest a great set of Monitoring Headphones and learn them. The key here is to learn them and once you do the other stuff will be a breeze

sounds great man. yeah i actually use them for everything i do now for that very reason. not just to hear my own trax on them but new hip hop and r&b which ic heck out everyday and everything else including news clips, viral vids etc. i figure it gets my ears attenuated to that sound. i would love to see the vid though beyond the headphones i will hav 2 wait a while 2 get some good ones like the sennheiser hd 650s and treatment foam, etc, or something. btw the vid didn't show up.

What do you mean the video did not show up?

lol. oh its there now. guess it was firefox r something. hey great advice! i'll check out the others too. those headphones sound great and the prices online r great too. r they better for mix reference than the sennheiser hd25-1 II in ur opinion, or would i b better sticking w/ my sennheiser's?
    Last edited by ravisingh; 05-17-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Hi Matt! Dan here.
    Once we discussed the same thing and you wrote you have used your older SONY headphones which you consider for the best ones. What type is it, please. I can't recall it.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Topic View Post
    Hi Matt! Dan here.
    Once we discussed the same thing and you wrote you have used your older SONY headphones which you consider for the best ones. What type is it, please. I can't recall it.
    Thank you

Hello Dan,

I use Sony MDR-V6 Headphones you can still buy them for under hundred bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by ravisingh View Post
    lol. oh its there now. guess it was firefox r something. hey great advice! i'll check out the others too. those headphones sound great and the prices online r great too. r they better for mix reference than the sennheiser hd25-1 II in ur opinion, or would i b better sticking w/ my sennheiser's?
    With any headphones you will need to learn them. I have never tried the HD25-1's so I can not give any feedback on them. But in reading about them they seem to be a big hit with DJ's.

The Sony MDR-V6's have been used in studios for recording and mixing audio for over 35 years, you will find them in almost all pro studios, they are tried and true monitoring headphones. Research them and you will see their history, in the end you have to learn them as you would all others and that's very important to understand.

Thread Information