Your Mastering Tool Box?

Mastering your songs and albums is not for everyone and can be a very daunting task for some. The key though for those that do it is that they have a number of effects and processes they use to get their signature sound. For those that do and choose to share....what Rack Extensions and Reason Devices are in your Mastering toolbox?

Actually the only Re's i use are kuassa's eq's and the red rock sound band splitter.
    But, I would like to get some more stuff. Like 4 dyne, the mcdsp compressors and offcourse ozone to get a proper chain.
    SoundCloud/ Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quiet to mind, you're not quit the mind" - Arcturus Ra -

Reason User
    PEFF's mid side mastering combinator A and the default mastering suite...

I've only recently started trying to master my tracks, but I use an ipad and an app called (of all things) Audio Mastering !. I will be attempting mastering in Reason soon though as I've not long updated from v4 to v8.

I know this is gonna sound cheesy, but I always try (more so recently) to get the mix right so that mastering is minimal. Because if the mix ain't right mastering won't fix it.

Getting the mix right is essential indeed. But a thing that i did do alot is have a mastering chain when ive done a first rough mix, or think it sounds good after hours of pounding in my ears.
    Doing a quick master usually brings out mistakes in my experience, so i can go back in and dive in the mix again.

But, i think you can get a clean master out of stock reason devices. If, like you said, you dont have to fix major issues.

Yep ! You're spot on there Osmose. I'm just starting to find all this out. When I import to audio mastering, I can see straight away (in the waveform) if the peaks are clipping or if the average is too quiet.. So before even attempting mastering I know I need to go back to the mix. And yeah, mastering a bad mix makes it sound worse.

Are you maxing out your dsp when you have a track finished then? Since you export it first.

I luckily always have a last bit of room left to do a simple mastering chain before i get a cpu overload :P Works alot faster in stead of rendering mixes.. Not even mentioning hard drive storage... haha
    I've pretty much finished my first ep (4 tracks), but ended up having around 30-40 gb worth of files (!) which, i still need to clean up.

My desktop only has 4gb Ram, so yeah it Max's out quite easily.. Was supposed to build an i7extreme this year, until sudden home improvements forced it to next year.. women eh !

I bounce all my tracks to audio for mixing.. And bounce/export that mix into audio mastering or back into Reason for mastering.

Edit- like your room Osmose my studio is all over the place at the moment or until I get that i7 desktop built. I have a desktop with Reason 8, A laptop with Reason 4 re wired to Cubase and lots of plug ins, an ipad with lots of synth an drum apps, and a whole load of hardware dotted about including tr909, tb303, 606, junos and more. The computer will get all that running together.
    Last edited by Runcell; 06-16-2015 at 01:29 AM.

Aah ye, that needs some work around.. I know how you feel. haha
    I was running a dual core amd for years, ive had tracks wich i needed 3 project files for causes i kept maxing out.

I7 is the way to go though! I absolutely adore it! Think i do need an upgraded version of the cpu in time cause i do have an older version, but still.
    Cpu is more important then ram in my opninion. Ive got 8gb of ram, and when maxing out dsp (cpu) i usually have 1 gb of ram left.

Your rig sounds nice and playfull by the way. I'd love to get my hands on some analog machines as well..

Thread Information