Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am using an older Edirol UA-5, but it gets the job done for me.
    ua5-1a.jpg

Reason User
    A Motu Audio Express and 2 Behringer FCA1616 (the Behringers can't combined in to FCA 3232, it may look that way in the config manager, but no...)
    Last edited by pdxnet96; 01-21-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    At the moment im using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I am looking to upgrade though to allow me to track a live band or at least a full drum kit. I was tempted by the Presonus Firestudio project until i realised you couldn't daisy chain them to expand the system. Any suggestions for others?
    Hey James, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 has 1 optical i/0, word clock out. Steinberg UR824 2 x optical i/0, 1 x word clock i/0 (No sp/dif or MIDI i/o). MOTU 828x 2 x optical i/o, word clock i/o, thunderbolt 2.0 or USB 2.0 connectivity. A audio group on facebook answered me a question on thunderbolt i/o. It has large bandwidth as we know and can handle large amount of tracking at once like 16 or more tracks etc. Newer PC motherboard's have Thinderbolt 2.0 as well not just Apple , hope that helps

Cheers for the reply.
    I will check them out. Excuse the stupid question, im a bit of a computer dunce really, im looking to record a number of live instrument sources so wanted something with at least 8 mic pre's with the option of expanding the system. Its going straight into a laptop. What use can i make with the spdif i/o? Sounds daft i know but in my mind i only need the mic pre's to get my live sources in.

Cheers for the reply.
    I will check them out. Excuse the stupid question, im a bit of a computer dunce really, im looking to record a number of live instrument sources so wanted something with at least 8 mic pre's with the option of expanding the system. Its going straight into a laptop. What use can i make with the spdif i/o? Sounds daft i know but in my mind i only need the mic pre's to get my live sources in.
    Have you checked out the PreSonus FireStudio Project? It really is a great Audio interface and it can not be beat for the money. 8 Mic/Line inputs, great Pre's and it's firewire. you can get them for under $400

I certainly have Matt, check my first post. The only thing that put me off was that you cant daisy chain them to expand the system.
    cheers.

I certainly have Matt, check my first post. The only thing that put me off was that you cant daisy chain them to expand the system.
    cheers.
    Sorry I missed your first post. You can daisy chain it, it has two firewire ports to do just that.

Cheers for the reply.
    All the ones I mentioned have 8 analog mic pre's, i/o in audio world simple acronym 'In & Out'. SP/DIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface) it's digital input output using coaxial cable. Expanding the system you can do with the ADAT optical light pipe input & output using a toslink cable (shorter the better less drop outs) that why you can daisy chain up to 2 soundcard even more etc.

Many thanks. I get the i/o acronym just wasnt sure what you would use the spdif for. Im assuming most of the time its to link 2 or more units together.
    Will check out the vid. Thanks again.

I'm using a NI Audiokontrol 1, it's meant for DJs and Traktors and whatnot, but I got it really cheap, it has an XLR+jack combined input with phantom power, another line/Hi-Z jack input, two separate balanced stereo outputs and MIDI in+out. I'm also looking for more inputs, but at the moment it'll haveto do

Thread Information