Mixing is no fun!

Do you ever think about how unfun Mixing is? It's so much more fun to play and record don't you think? Don't you just love tweaking the synths and coming up with great sounds?

I understand how to mix rather well and can still say after many years it's no fun compared to playing but just as important.

... i donno Matt, i like mixing because its tough but rewarding.

Matt I have been tinkering with the mixing aspect for a while and watched a ton of your videos and some even two or three times. Im still stuck on which gain knob to use to level the initial instrument volume. I was using the gain knob at the very top of the SSL and then i see you in a different video use the master gain to lower the volume. I think it was in the Linn drum video tutorial. Before i watched your videos i was using the instrument gain inside the instrument and then the gain structure thing came along. Confused lol.

Quote Originally Posted by redmanmasonji View Post
    Matt I have been tinkering with the mixing aspect for a while and watched a ton of your videos and some even two or three times. Im still stuck on which gain knob to use to level the initial instrument volume. I was using the gain knob at the very top of the SSL and then i see you in a different video use the master gain to lower the volume. I think it was in the Linn drum video tutorial. Before i watched your videos i was using the instrument gain inside the instrument and then the gain structure thing came along. Confused lol.

The Master output finder is used for just that, setting your final output level but that is when you are in the mixing stage of your song. When playing and writing I adjust it to hear how things sound at different levels.
    Last edited by Matt; 01-19-2015 at 06:00 AM. Reason: spelling

It's hard and fun for me at the same time.

I can spend hours tinkering with a mix just for fun, even though I most of the time have no idea what I'm doing. Matt's videos has helped a lot though. Learning by doing!

10-4 Matt, thanks. So you use the master lever gain just to sample levels through the mixing process. Thanks again. Mixing is the part where i go "man that dont sound right and start over, lol".

I find mixing a track really fun. You have your tracks, they already sound good (if not, you should record them again), and then you throw it all into the pot to cook something nice with it.

The only thing that bugs me with mixing is that I never really finish. However nice it sounds, there's always more that could be done to make it sound even better. You gotta find a point where you're happy enough with the results and then stop worrying about it. Or take some days off without listening to the track, and then come back to it with "clean ears" to finish it.

Well I must say Matt that I look at Recording/mixing/mastering like a house. There's the building of the house, then there's the living in it and decorating it.....finally you get to sit back and enjoy with your family. Sounds corny, but a successful home studio involves wearing a lot of hats and wearing them well.
    My recordings are better thanks to LearnReason.com

Thread Information