Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Vocoder

there is a combinator patch called Auto-Vocoder.
    open that up and reverse engineer that

I thought I had the basic idea of how a vocoder works. Now I'm not so sure. I am running a USB mic into an audio track in Reason. I hooked up NN19 and the audio track (mic) into the vocodor. No sound. I can see they are both sending a signal, but no sound. Before I connect them to the vocodor, I can hear sound coming from both. Thanks for everyone's help so far!!

Quote Originally Posted by ehatch View Post
    I thought I had the basic idea of how a vocoder works. Now I'm not so sure. I am running a USB mic into an audio track in Reason. I hooked up NN19 and the audio track (mic) into the vocodor. No sound. I can see they are both sending a signal, but no sound. Before I connect them to the vocodor, I can hear sound coming from both. Thanks for everyone's help so far!!

you have notes in the NN-19 lane? also why NN-19? a thor or sub is far more appropriate.
    i'd recommend you record your audio without vocoding and then set up the efx in spare track so you can figure it out.
    and look for the auto vocoder combinator patch so you can learn how to wire it up.

Quote Originally Posted by ehatch View Post

Here is a more in-depth explanation of how a vocoder works.

I decided to just work on setting the vocoder up without the mic, and just ran a drum loop through. It worked fine. Then I created an audio track with the USB mic. As soon as I switched out the drum loop for the audio track, I lost all sound. I can see that a signal is being sent, but no sound. I'm assuming I still don't have this set up quite right. When I first turn the mic on, I get sound. When I connect it to the vocodor, no sound. Not even from the synth. Again, thank you all for you're help, I think I'm getting closer.

First all, what Reason version are you using? I hope any after R6/7.. That is the easier way of doing things.

In any case, selecting a vocoder and just randomly mic checking wont help.. The vocoder doesnt have direct mic or audio capability's. You'd have to route the source to it first. So, where do you get the source from?

Easiest thing to do is just create and audio track and select your mic as the input source, this will allow reason to directly get your usb input into the given audio channel, which in turn will give you routing capabilities. Get an audio splitter, route one wire to the vocodor, leave the other one routed to the audio channel's output so you have a raw source in your mixer aswell, just for vanity sake.

That outta work.

In version 5 (which has built in audio recorders in the sample devices (nn19, nnxt, redrum, kong..) you'd have to record it as a sample in one of the devices first. Clean it up (set starting marker etc), create a midi note so the sample will play and then route the device that plays it trough the vocoder.

In any way, see if you can record your raw input anyhow. Thats step 1 in the problem elimination proces.
    SoundCloud/ Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quiet to mind, you're not quit the mind" - Arcturus Ra -

Thread Information