Hello, I have a question about the click (metronome) in Reason

Hello everyone, I'm a newbie and I have a question about the click (metronome) setting in Reason (I use Reason 7 on a Mcbook Pro)

Sorry if the subject has appeared before already, I haven't found the search engine on this forum.

I use a Roland Octa Capture as my recording device, and I'm currently rehearsing with musicians for my music project.

We play along some tracks that are in a Reason project, and I would like to send those tracks + the click in the headphone of our drummer, but I can't seem to do it (without having the click playing in the PA obviously)

I have been on countless sites to get information, but I'm still stuck at one moment or another.

I have tried this way : you create a click track (with redrum, for instance), then I have to go behind the rack to send it to output 3 and 4, and that's where I'm stuck.

Also : I was wondering if there was a way to send the built-in metronome in Reason to the output 3 of the Octa Capture. I have been in the "preferences panel" and didn't find it. I have, however, managed to create a Mixer A, B, C and D in the control panel of the Octa Capture, so my idea would be to have Mixer A playing the main reason mix in the PA (output 1 and 2), and in Mixer B I could put those tracks + a click track (output 3 and 4).

Thank you very much in advance for your help, and sorry for my english, my main language is french (I live in Belgium)

Laurent

Sending just the click to a seperate channel isnt possible no. So you should, like you tried have a click sound play trough redrum and send it out to additional outputs, like 3 and 4

If you dont hear the output, then the solution is to found at either your soundcard settings (if it uses a vst type mixer) or somewere in the hardware wiring.

You did route it to reasons i/o section's channel 3 and 4 right? That big grey thing at the very top of your rack

EDIT:

I did a video on this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ANj0m8De8o
    Last edited by Osmose; 03-19-2017 at 11:25 PM.
    SoundCloud/ Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quiet to mind, you're not quit the mind" - Arcturus Ra -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmose View Post
    You did route it to reasons i/o section's channel 3 and 4 right? That big grey thing at the very top of your rack
    Thank your for your reply.
    That's the part I'm struggling wtih. I don't know from where I have to start (the back of the redrum rack ?) and then where to go from there.
    On some tutorials, they show the back of the "master section" panel, but even there I'm a bit lost. I'll put up some screen caps later today.

Laurent

Naamloos.jpg

Hit TAB on your QWERTY keyboard, (flip's the rack around) then click "AUDIO I/O". NOw you'll see the output channels appear. These output channels are directly linked to your soundcard.

So, route redrum's main output or the single channel output to these channels 3 or 4 and it should work, if you have a multi channel soundcard. Just a 2 in 2 out wont work

Quote Originally Posted by Osmose View Post
    Naamloos.jpg

Hit TAB on your QWERTY keyboard, (flip's the rack around) then click "AUDIO I/O". NOw you'll see the output channels appear. These output channels are directly linked to your soundcard.

So, route redrum's main output or the single channel output to these channels 3 or 4 and it should work, if you have a multi channel soundcard. Just a 2 in 2 out wont work
    Hi Osmose, thank you for your reply. I'm still a bit stuck though (but going there)

So basically I have this at the back of the redrum click

Capture d’e?cran 2016-11-01 a? 18.28.59.jpg

I don't know whether to use the 1 2 send out OR the direct out left and right at the top of the redrum rack (next to audio output).
    Also, from there, I went to the audio I/O like you said, and I suppose I have to route the redrum to 3 and 4 of the audio output ? Thanks again
    Last edited by Turbocowboy; 11-01-2016 at 06:41 PM.

OK don't pay attention to the last post, nailed it !!!!

Thank you again Osmose, without you I would still be stuck. We're rehearsing tomorrow night and I can't wait to play without having that damn click track in the background on the PA haha.

For those who would stumble upon the same problem, here we are :

Attachment 208

Just go from there (direct outputs) behind the redrum rack

to here on the back of the master section rack (click on audio I/O)

Attachment 209

Then, in the mixing panel of the soundcard, I can set up the volume of the 3/4 output to either 0 (for the pa mix) in my Direct Mixer A, and to whatever volume is comfortable to the drummer in the headphones on Direct Mixer B. Genius.

Thank you again for your help, have a great evening !

Good to hear you fixed it

Hello Osmose,
    so everything is not really settled with musicians anyway

Here's the thing : my buddies arrived for rehearsal, and the keyboard player asked me to have a click as well in his headphones.
    The first reflex was to put my second headphone in the output 4 of the octacapture, hoping he would get the same mix as the drummer (aka Mixer B). But he couldn't hear anything.
    We tried putting his headphones into the headphone out of the soundcard, but then he would only get the PA mix (aka Mixer A) and no click.

As I can only route the redrum click track to just output 3 and 4, I copied the redrum click, and routed it to output 5 and 6. (so now in the octacapture panel I have Mixer C enabled as well. Only thing is he was supposed to have the same mix as the drummer, but he can only hear the click and not the sequences.

I'm gonna try and fiddle with that a little bit, but anyway having the drummer only hearing the click was a great help tonight and we had a great rehearsal. We only have to listen to him to keep in tempo now. Big pressure on him but he's pulling it off

The headphone output of your sound card mirros the main outputs, so that wont work indeed.

What you could do is, split the entire mix that goes to 3 and 4 with an "spider" audio splitter (under "utilities") so you have 2 stereo channels created from one.

Then route one to 3 and 4, the other to 5 and 6.

If it doesnt work then still, then the problem lies within the dsp mixer of your soundcard. Doudlce check for solo or mute being buttons enabled.

It can be easily overlooked.. I had it as well were i completely overlooked "mix 2" for my channels 3 and 4 (using parallel hardware rack for auxillery effects) wich caused me feedback.. it was doing my heading for months...

Thread Information