Help! Reason FX Scheme Make No Sense To Me.

When working in the rack area, I am very confused about insert FX. Are there two different kinds of insert fx?

I ask this because if have an instrument or an audio track in Reason, when looking at the rack, I can click on the "Show Insert FX" button in the header section of that instrument/audio track and an area opens up for me to place insert FX on that instrument or audio track. That makes sense to me.

What doesn't make any sense to me is that I can also just ignore selecting any instrument/audio recording and I can ignore clicking any "Show Insert FX" button on any particular instrument or audio track and I can just drag an effect into the open, empty, black space of the rack area.

When I do that, what is that effect associated with? How does Reason know to associate it with anything? Is this also considered an insert effect, even though it does not reside in any instrument or audio tracks insert fx section?

In other DAWs that I've used, insert fx can only be called up on a particular track, you can't just randomly insert fx into space.

This is blowing my mind.

Can someone please explain this to me?

effects are auto-routed to the closest audio source.

Quote Originally Posted by vocoderboy View Post
    effects are auto-routed to the closest audio source.
    So why would I ever put an effect in as a true insert effect? When would I ever put an effect in as a proper insert vs just dragging an effect in to the blank rack space? What is the difference? If I have an instrument in the rack and I put a reverb unit in the proper "insert fx" section of that instrument or I just drag the reverb unit in the blank space underneath that instrument, the affect of that effect on the instrument is the EXACT SAME, so why/when would I use one routing scheme over the other?
    Last edited by highmarcs; 11-13-2016 at 07:58 PM.

if you put it in the instrument's channel strip you can use the buttons and rotaries to automate perimeters.
    the channel strip is in two windows, firstly in the mixer window and then in the rack.
    the one in the rack functions much like a combinator making automations easer and keeps your rack tidy.
    putting an EFX into the empty space under the channel/track its still pretty simple to automate with left clicking etc.
    it all really depends on how you want to model your rack and what you want to do.

What Vocoderboy said.

But, i thing your just overcomplicating things (@highmarcs)
    Inserting an effect in that boxed section just makes it easier to tidy things in general. Lets say you have 15 devices hooked up to one source, then clicking "show insert fx" will hide all, or show all.

And yes, the boxed section acts as a "Combinator" which is a utility device; if you have two synths in a Combinator, and select that combinator in your sequencer, both synths will receive the midi/gate signal info making layering easier.
    Combinators have additional knobs for easy tweaking, they just need to be programmed first.

Back to overcomplicating: Just check the routing at the back of the sequencer and think simple. As long as there arent any mixers or audio splitters involved, everything will be routed in serial.

Little tip: if you toggle "K" on your keyboard, you will toggle transparent cables; only the selected devices will have show fully, all others will be transparent so its easier to follow cables to its direction
    SoundCloud/ Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quiet to mind, you're not quit the mind" - Arcturus Ra -

Thread Information