Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I set the master output level and keep there for mixing.
    Which was at -10dB position as we saw in the end of the part 3, correct ?

No, I never reset it at the end of tutorial 3. I reset before the next tutorial when I am teaching mixing.

Let this go you are confusing all this with when I turned up the main output to compare the tracks. The only thing here to understand is set your Main Output the way you want it and leave it that way, there are times where you might have to adjust as you mix to keep the main output level where you want it, easy as that.

No, I never reset it at the end of tutorial 3. I reset before the next tutorial when I am teaching mixing.

Let this go you are confusing all this with when I turned up the main output to compare the tracks. The only thing here to understand is set your Main Output the way you want it and leave it that way, there are times where you might have to adjust as you mix to keep the main output level where you want it, easy as that.
    You right i probably have been confused when you were comparinf the tracks.

Something else, after you made your main levelling and have set your master fader for the headroom. Further in the mix how much in general do the delays, reverbs and various effects add more dB to your whole mix ?

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    You right i probably have been confused when you were comparinf the tracks.

Something else, after you made your main levelling and have set your master fader for the headroom. Further in the mix how much in general do the delays, reverbs and various effects add more dB to your whole mix ?

This all depends on the song being mixed and how much effects are being used. The main thing here is to maintain a good over all sound structure as you mix, do not be so concerned with the Main Output it is set, be more concerned how you mix into the main output. This is why you always set you static mix level before you start the main mix. Also mixing is not a static process you can adjust the main output if need.

This all depends on the song being mixed and how much effects are being used. The main thing here is to maintain a good over all sound structure as you mix, do not be so concerned with the Main Output it is set, be more concerned how you mix into the main output. This is why you always set you static mix level before you start the main mix. Also mixing is not a static process you can adjust the main output if need.
    Interesting points as usual. As you said i tend to be a little too much concerned about the master fader. The reason for that is because i often hear or read from other sources that once you set your master fader you must not touch it anymore for some obscur reason that i can't really understand.

Because let's say that i make my tracks levelling and once it's done i set my master fader to create some headroom for further in the mix and mastering, just as you well explained it in your tutorials. But let's imagine that further in my mix once i added all my delays, reverbs and other various effect or if i slightly re-ajust some tracks volume level again and then notice that at the end of my mixing process my master level headroom margin decrease too much and not where i want for my mastering, so what ? i'm like if i have to followi their advise, i'm not supposed re-ajust master fader and so my headroom ?!

This is the reason why the master fader thing was confuse me a bit.

Interesting points as usual. As you said i tend to be a little too much concerned about the master fader. The reason for that is because i often hear or read from other sources that once you set your master fader you must not touch it anymore for some obscur reason that i can't really understand.

Because let's say that i make my tracks levelling and once it's done i set my master fader to create some headroom for further in the mix and mastering, just as you well explained it in your tutorials. But let's imagine that further in my mix once i added all my delays, reverbs and other various effect or if i slightly re-ajust some tracks volume level again and then notice that at the end of my mixing process my master level headroom margin decrease too much and not where i want for my mastering, so what ? i'm like if i have to followi their advise, i'm not supposed re-ajust master fader and so my headroom ?!

This is the reason why the master fader thing was confuse me a bit.
    You must think of the mixer for what it is. A mixer is just channels for your tracks that you use to mix into a stereo master output, easy as that. You start mixing with a good static mix, set you master output level, leaving 4db or more of headroom. Now you start your mix, because you have set your master output leaving 4db or more of head room and have the bus comp helping just to level things out you will not have to worry about distorting.

You are mixing into the stereo output so if it starts moving up in level it will be about how you are mixing into it, not it, so you will need to back off on some channel or channels that are causing this. It is this simple.

The whole thing with mixing is it is all about giving every element in the mix it's own space, equality across all the channels. It is really all just levels, eq is really nothing more than a level adjustment. There is tons of information out there but here on this site I want to cut through all the noise out there and teach the fundamentals and they are tried and true. Forget about all the noise, learn the fundamentals and go for it.

You must think of the mixer for what it is. A mixer is just channels for your tracks that you use to mix into a stereo master output, easy as that. You start mixing with a good static mix, set you master output level, leaving 4db or more of headroom. Now you start your mix, because you have set your master output leaving 4db or more of head room and have the bus comp helping just to level things out you will not have to worry about distorting.

You are mixing into the stereo output so if it starts moving up in level it will be about how you are mixing into it, not it, so you will need to back off on some channel or channels that are causing this. It is this simple.

The whole thing with mixing is it is all about giving every element in the mix it's own space, equality across all the channels. It is really all just levels, eq is really nothing more than a level adjustment. There is tons of information out there but here on this site I want to cut through all the noise out there and teach the fundamentals and they are tried and true. Forget about all the noise, learn the fundamentals and go for it.
    I agree with what you said ( how couldn't i ) but since after we levelled our tracks and set our headroom then there is a possibility that further in the mix we could tweak again some track(s) levels and then our headroom could not be were we want it to be. And it's in this case i was mainly wondering if it's "allowed" to re-ajust our headroom since we tweak some tracks levels or it's a no no ?
    Last edited by Voyager; 12-12-2016 at 10:58 PM.

I agree with what you said ( how couldn't i ) but since after we levelled our tracks and set our headroom then there is a possibility that further in the mix we could tweak again some track(s) levels and then our headroom could not be were we want it to be. And it's in this case i was mainly wondering if it's "allowed" to re-ajust our headroom since we tweak some tracks levels or it's a no no ?
    You can always adjust it but if you are why are you? The point here is you set a static mix then set your bus comp and then your main output level. You now are mixing into the main output which has 4 or more db of headroom with a bus compressor keeping it nice and level for you to mix into it.

Thanks for the inputs Matt.

Thread Information