Nice sidechain compression tip

Hey folks,

I discover that nice sidechain compression tip over the vocals in the following video at 27:00 and i though it would be nice to share it.

Actually what it does it's ducking the sidechained effect to the voice and let the dry signal to be less messed up with the effect and so more clear with a nice tail on it.
    Actually i tried this also on drums and it work flawlessly too

Unfortunatelly it does not show the complete routing but i tried various ones and i think i got it right, at least it seems working to me but if someone see sometihng wrong in it please don't hesitate to correct it. So here are the routing i made in the pictures below ( note that both pictures have the exact same routing cable but i just select different devices to highlight the cables )

Sidechain compressor routage 1.jpg
    Sidechain compressor routage 2.jpg
    Last edited by Voyager; 11-29-2016 at 12:38 AM.

Cool thanks for sharing.

ye really nice trick, i use it on my bass all the time and now and again on vocals as well. You can set it up in a combinator for easy loading:

Bass verb patch:
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/o13ge4
    SoundCloud/ Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quiet to mind, you're not quit the mind" - Arcturus Ra -

And on your drums as well ? Actually do you think it would make sense to use the reverbs sidechained in this way for every track that use reverb to clean up the dry signal ?
    Not sure that it's a comon thing to do ?!

No not at all actualy.. For my drums is mostly have a seperate reverb that goes nice with the main one.

Thing about slapping it on your drum bus is that due to the dynamics of drums, there is hardly any room for the reverb to push back so you'l get compression pretty much all the time.
    But, occasionally i do dial the snare in a little bit to the bass verb patch, along with the main drum reverb to get some extra hardly noticable dynamic and tonal changes.

But all of it heavily relies on the sound your after..

The old beatles tracks were often recorded with just one or two mics, leaving you with a really acoustic drums. Even on the kicks offcourse.

So for modern sounding music, i wouldnt recommend it. But for sake of taste, experience and learning. Just give it a try, see what it does and how it sounds.. Always go by your own opinion...
    SoundCloud/ Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quiet to mind, you're not quit the mind" - Arcturus Ra -

Thread Information