Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'll beg you

I'll beg you

Hello,

I am Michael Epic. Or...well, I used to be. Not that that was ever anything special. I'm a down and out musician, broke beyond all reason (no pun intended) and getting older every day.

I want to pen for you this huge sob story, but I'll save that for later if you want to hear it and give you the short version. I'm a dance pop artist, I worked in a recording studio for 3 years that did major label + local indie artist projects, I failed miserably at music because the guy who made beats for me with Reason ditched our music project to become a professional model.

Here's the only song I have to my name; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBE-XrGTMM

I did reasonable with it while it was on iTunes for a brand new artist with only one song and very little media coverage. I was on the radio a few times, in a newspaper and did a meet and greet at a mall. All small things.

Here's why I am here. I have Reason 5.0. I understand how it works and I know about tape compression and creative use of reverb and how to do gated pads and all of that stuff. The problem I have, is that no matter what I do I can't make music. I use the edit mode and edit blocks and try to scratch out anything that sounds remotely decent. The furthest I've ever gotten was drum beats and bass. I've been trying to do this since 2012 and have yet to make ONE decent song in Reason.

So I need someone's help. I have lyric sets, songs and ideas that would actually get some recognition. I'm talking PSY - Gangnam Style level. I'm confident because I've been in music for a long time and I know these songs would turn heads. However, I have no one to help me. No one to make beats. Anyone I've ever asked has flaked out. Anyone I've ever been able to pay (which took a miracle) never delivered what I paid for and I've even been ripped off a few times.

I know Joey Cutless, who has a LONG history of credits in MTV, Oprah, etc but he specializes in hip-hop and rap and can't really help me with dance pop because that's not his genre and that's not what made him. All of the friends he has and people he knows are way too expensive (think David Guetta level expensive)

So I have industry contacts and they've all forgotten about me because I can never produce any music. I can't promise you'll be famous and rich, but I can promise you that if you help me out, you'll have a better shot at it because I've got on my dropbox, the single greatest dance pop album to never be made.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Welcome!

Quite the read there. If you want to learn Reason and everything to do with making great music you are in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Welcome!

Quit the read there. If you want to learn Reason and everything to do with making great music you are in the right place.
    I'm not sure what "quit the read" means, but I know I am in the right place. I totally understand how reason works but I don't know how to properly make music. Like, using the paint tool and putting the blocks in ways that make good dance pop.

I need help. I need someone to make beats or teach me how to do it past just knowing about the racks! I can't even figure out how to assemble blocks, do transitions...I'm just terrible at it.

But I can write songs that would destroy the billboard chart.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelEpic View Post
    I'm not sure what "quit the read" means, but I know I am in the right place. I totally understand how reason works but I don't know how to properly make music. Like, using the paint tool and putting the blocks in ways that make good dance pop.

I need help. I need someone to make beats or teach me how to do it past just knowing about the racks! I can't even figure out how to assemble blocks, do transitions...I'm just terrible at it.

But I can write songs that would destroy the billboard chart.

I forgot the (e) it is Quite the read.

Everything you are saying really does not make sense how can some one be so great at writing songs that will destroy the billboard chart but have no clue on how to write music, it makes no sense. There are tons of tutorials here and on youtube that will help you learn Reason, how to mix and master, how to write songs, how to play the piano..ect

No one writes music without being able to play an instrument, well I guess you could but I know of no one that does, they always have at least a piano and know how to play it. What equipment do you have? Also there are tutorials here to show you how Blocks work. Also there are tutorial here on music theory and much more that will help you.

who uses blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I forgot the (e) it is Quite the read.

Everything you are saying really does not make sense how can some one be so great at writing songs that will destroy the billboard chart but have no clue on how to write music, it makes no sense.
    I understand. I apologize and please allow me to be more clear.

I write lyrics. I have been writing dance pop songs since probably 2008. I was inspired by Sam Sparro's "Black & Gold" to make dance pop. I heard the song and it opened my eyes and I was like I can do that!

So for years I wrote lyrics, did studio work, assisted in recording and got some tips from some of the world's greatest and most successful musicians and even got recruited to do music work on an indie movie, which I was really proud of and you can read about on imdb, with me listed as a credit.

I have an entire album's worth of really well written and catchy songs. I've paid to have professional songwriters give me critiques and tips. I've made simple drum beats and participated in FAWM (February Album Writing Month) every year since 2011 and I've been given endless amounts of feedback on the catchyness of songs and one man even said his 12 year old kid wanted to immediately cover one of my songs.

I've had people email me for years and tell me they can't get my simple drum beat and vocal demo songs out of their head. People have been waiting for me for years to actually make music, including real music industry contacts. I'm talking label heads, A&R agents and their ilk.

But I cannot make music. I cannot write instrumentals, I cannot play instruments. All I have is Reason 5 and a 79 key midi controller keyboard.

I need help. I'm practically begging at this point. I have everything a musician could ask for except music. I'm getting older every day and if I don't do something soon, I'm going to be 35 years old trying to push a dance pop record.

First what midi controller do you have, 79 keys I have never heard of? 49,61,88 I have. As for what you need you must take some time to learn how to play your keyboard check out Reason U there are free great tutorials to help you learn.

I still can not believe though that someone who claims to be able to write music can not play an instrument this I have never heard of and I am going one 53. If you are not whiling to take some lessons from a teacher or online tutorials you are going to be stuck where you are at.....There is no change for those that do the same thing over and over...step up and learn an instrument and start making music or just use loops, tons of people do.

where can one hear what you have so far?

Quote Originally Posted by vocoderboy View Post
    where can one hear what you have so far?
    He posted this link in his first post https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuBE-XrGTMM

Mmm this sounds like a double edged sword kind of thing.. Making music is a hell of a lotta work. Not only producing itself and every nittpicking thing around it (read mixing etc.) but also learning to grasp things, learning all tricks of the trait to get your music to top notch quality. In fact you never stop learning, and if you think you do, you're just letting your ego block your self out..

MOst of us probably started of, not being to serious and just had mad fun at first, messed around with everything untill we get the grasp of things and settle down in a certain direction with a solid basis, slowly getting moe serious if even doing so..

Cause of your history and your focus on doing a certain thing, i think you miss out on the first bit.. Messing around and exploring. Completely understandable if i may add.

This is what i mean by a double edged sword. You might be blocking yourself because of your desire and focus. if i am to prejudiced by all means, say so but i speak from my own personal experience and believe that all minds sorta work alike on this matter.

From what ive read, you've put alot of energy in trying to get that exact type of beat going on, but that'll block you from exploring more..

I work with a few people as well, and especially this one dude always shows me some track of which he's like "can you do this and that sorta thing?" or the other day, i had someone do a piano piece in C minor and was like "please dont make this to emotianal heavy, i want it to be more light"; and then i always respond: i let my music design itself.. I might start of with an idea, which 90% of the time doesnt work or gets completely turned into something else, something i never could've imagined. So no, i wont try and copy that sorta thing or block of the flow were in to change it's direction.

I'd suggest, if you know how the entrire program works, to set and give your self some time to just mess around. Give your self like a month or 2, try to postpone your vision and open yourself to other outcomes. Maybe you'll end up with a ballad, maybe you'll end up with some garage techno, drumstep hybrid.. Who knows...
    Thing is, i think alot of us start of little projects, and only 1 or 2% actually makes in into a finished track. BUT, you'll have alot of sketchs laying around.
    I've felt inspired by old 2 bar loops i made 5-6 years ago and completely re-worked it to a point of no recognition.

I started of doing east coast us style influenced sample based hip hop, didnt had a clue about what i was doing first. Now years later im making experimental stuff that i nor someone i know can fit in a given subgenre, since it covers a wide aray of subgenres. A mixture of all sorts of things.
    But in doing so, i managed to get my own "signature sound", and slowly doing pretty well with it.

I do feel you though.. Im a ambitious person as well, and altough i dont aim for the popcharts, i do wish that someday my music will be well know in the downtempo/ambient/ electronic enviroment..
    SoundCloud/ Osmose-music - Facebook/ OsmoseSounds -

osmose-music.com - osmose-music.bandcamp.com

"When you quiet to mind, you're not quit the mind" - Arcturus Ra -

Thread Information