Studio headphones

Hello.
    So I have these AKG K271 studio headphones which I use for mixing and they don't seem to sound great. As I don't have a great studio set up, I do more of my mixing using headphones and I remember Matt talking about knowing your headphones. Well I have been unsuccessful in knowing these K271's and quite frankly I believe they are lying to my ears. I would like you to recommend headphones I could use as I'm not yet
    great at mixing but getting better each day. There's just a little something missing. Could it start with the headphones? Please be gentle with your comments.

Ive always learned that studio monitoring gear, headphones or speakers dont need to sound great. They are made to sound honest, giving you an accurate picture.

Changing from 50euro pc speaker sets to decent monitors might make you feel the contruary, as i had..

But, every speaker has an own character. Maybe these dont suit you at all.

An old friend of mine had m audio speakers i believe, i didnt like them at all. They sounded way to seperated and cold for me, and then i got rokit krk's which to some sound to warm and glued, but i really like them.

As for headphones, ive been working with 25 dollar sennheissers for the last 7-8 years and ive really grown fond of them.
    They are cheap, flat and have a really good bass response.
    All that i need.

I have never ever mixed on really high end stuff but a wealthy friend of mine has a 15.000 euro bauwer and wilkens speaker set and my mixes sound great on them, even to him, him being an audiophile for years.

But, how long have you been working with these now if i may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Osmose View Post
    Ive always learned that studio monitoring gear, headphones or speakers dont need to sound great. They are made to sound honest, giving you an accurate picture.

Changing from 50euro pc speaker sets to decent monitors might make you feel the contruary, as i had..

But, every speaker has an own character. Maybe these dont suit you at all.

An old friend of mine had m audio speakers i believe, i didnt like them at all. They sounded way to seperated and cold for me, and then i got rokit krk's which to some sound to warm and glued, but i really like them.

As for headphones, ive been working with 25 dollar sennheissers for the last 7-8 years and ive really grown fond of them.
    They are cheap, flat and have a really good bass response.
    All that i need.

I have never ever mixed on really high end stuff but a wealthy friend of mine has a 15.000 euro bauwer and wilkens speaker set and my mixes sound great on them, even to him, him being an audiophile for years.

But, how long have you been working with these now if i may ask?
    Hmm. Been using them on and off(mostly off) for about 2yrs. I actually have a pair of Yamaha HS7 studio monitors but as I said I don't have a great studio set up and prefer the flexibility the headphones give me.
    I guess what you're saying is for me to find something that works for me and my ears, then own it.
    Funny enough, I once attempted to mix using my iPhone earphones cos I felt if it works there, it might just work everywhere else. I was wrong(Lol).
    When it comes to mixing and mastering, I guess the experts aren't really telling us everything on their posts on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats quite a while indeed.. i see your need for headphones.
    Best thing you could do i guess is find substitutes. Get a list of like 5 and then google for user reviews.
    Good thing to try is to get headphones that will pair up with your monitors in terms of character.

But mixing and mastering has a similar thing to it, taste, preference. One trick might work for someone while another one hates it. I personally hardly, hardly use parralell compression in the ssl mixer. I know how it works, but it just never works for me.

Just experiment and experiment, do things you were told not to.. thats the best way to learn.
    Dont know if you've ever heard of andrew scheps, but seeing you mention the tricks and trades of mastering engineers, i see a craving for more knowledge

Study some of his videos, his philosophy whil inspire you, ill guarantee you that

Yeah you're right about one thing working for one and not for another. As they say: "One man's meat is another man's poison". Thanks for the advice. Will certainly check out Andrew Scheps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha ye true words man..

Quote Originally Posted by uncle View Post
    Hello.
    So I have these AKG K271 studio headphones which I use for mixing and they don't seem to sound great. As I don't have a great studio set up, I do more of my mixing using headphones and I remember Matt talking about knowing your headphones. Well I have been unsuccessful in knowing these K271's and quite frankly I believe they are lying to my ears. I would like you to recommend headphones I could use as I'm not yet
    great at mixing but getting better each day. There's just a little something missing. Could it start with the headphones? Please be gentle with your comments.

For years I've had a set of Edirol MA-7A monitors. Tiny wee things that have, overall, an unpleasant range. Anything mid-range is fine, but unless it's mastered by world class engineers most music sounds dark and lacking in clarity in bass and in treble. They are quite honestly, woeful.
    Up until recently, I hadn't thought about upgrading because I generally thought they were good enough for trance, drum & bass and other bits n bobs.

However, I got a pair of headphones for gaming, my old ones broke but I wanted a really decent pair. I was sick of paying for things that lasted hours, or weeks.

HyperX Cloud 2 are by far the best headphones I've ever used. They unleashed a frequency range my ears hadn't heard from my own music. They have a lush sub, crystal highs and even mids.

They are a USB headset made for gaming, but they don't have "ultra huge bass with extra ****ing bass for slaying noobs". They actually sound rather even, maybe the bass end has a slight push but it's not offensive or flabby like most headphones can be.

Honestly worth £75.

I simply don't use my monitors anymore, they are so horrible and I wished I upgraded years ago. They were just to get me started and like I always do, went for the cheap option because I could afford it quicker.

Have a listen to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEO2PJIgf4U

and this

https://ufile.io/a44m5

You should hear a warm, lush bass from the first track. And a heavy, skull filling sub on the second. Or at least I can.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle View Post
    Hello.
    Something that I've learned from working with both headphones and monitors is that headphones tend to leave out low end, so that when you play your mix in your car, you get a muddy mess. It's something to consider when working with headphones. Another piece of advice is to listen to songs that you love with a great mix and then compare that to what you're working with. Knowing what professionally mixed music sounds like on your rig helps you determine what your own music should sound like on your rig too. Also, listen to your mixes on several different sources and make notes of what is working and what doesn't. I listen to my work on monitors, headphones, car speakers, computer speakers at work, and even my phone speakers to hear things that jump out as sounding off. It takes some time to learn how different speakers colour music, but it's a useful skill to develop.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thread Information